Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Family Challenge: "Shine for God"

God placed it on my heart to challenge our boys with the idea of "shining for God" that came from Matthew 5:16, "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Each day when they get on the bus I challenge them to "shine for God today".

Noah (7) and Samuel (5) challenge me to "shine for God". Here are a couple of sweet stories that have challenged me SHINE more brightly for God.

Noah wrote me a note encouraging me and one of the lines from his note was, "When I see you shine, I start to shine." What a sweet reminder from God of the power we have as parents. When my kids see the fruits of the spirit in my life from Galatians 5:22 & 23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." then they want to show that same fruit.

We have a light in our kitchen with a dimmer switch on it. One dark morning when Samuel walked into the kitchen the light was on a very dim setting he stated, "Mom, look at that light shining for God." I love how Samuel was able to remember the importance of always shining for God no matter who or what you are.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Thank you Carol for your post. I needed to be reminded of Galatians 5:22 & 23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
This is the bible verse I will turn to for the next couple of days as God works to soften my heart.

MommaKathi said...

I just saw your blog. I love hearing about things that kids say - and it means a lot more when it is kids that I know. Thanks for sharing and I will be sure to check back to see what is new in the Sorenson household.
Blessings,
Kathi

cornnut32 said...

i am always amazed at how much kids pick up on.

what a great reminder. when i am shining for god, i am so much happier.