Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring Update

Wow! Time sure flies, I am overdue a blog update. My winter college course is completed and I learned new and useful information and was able to glorify God by working hard and getting an excellent grade.

I have been prayerfully considering working part time next school year. I have been inquiring about working as a substitute teacher next school year. It would be a good way to get my feet wet and to see how our family adjusts to me working. I am praying that God will open the right doors and that I will clearly see His will for my employment path.

Autism is not easy to deal with....it amazes me how what sounds like an easy and fun family activity takes so much more pre-planning and effort with a child who is autistic. I need to plan ahead for Samuel, and have visuals available, have earplugs in case things are too loud, and have some sort of toy to be used as a distraction. We ventured out tonight to get ice cream after the boys performed in their "end of the year school celebration". Samuel did fine with the short wait in line, which surprised me considering that he was upset that we had to park in the neighboring parking lot and walk a few steps further.

I smiled as I watched him with ice cream on his chin and nose, and was amazed that he didn't notice. I even chuckled at the sight of his coat which was stained with red, blue, and yellow streaks from his Superman ice cream. Then my moment of enjoyment ended as he dropped his ice cream cone on the ground. He screamed and the crying began. He was upset for longer then I would have liked and I struggled with how to cope. I found myself wanting to take the easy ways out (grab for food, leave the situation, call a friend and vent, have a drink) and instead saw that God was using this situation so that I could run to Him and pray to Him and let Him meet my needs.

Let's learn to thank God for the difficult times, as well as the blessed times, because they are all meant to glorify Him. I find comfort in Philippians 1:6, "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

No comments: